Monday, February 28, 2005

this is what I'm talking about





I hate knowing that my flag now stands for a country capable of torture and unconcerned with the opinions of the world, arrogant and ignorant of history, contemptuous of others. I understand now the feelings of idealistic Zionists, seeing something beautiful and cherished turn malign.

It's difficult to know whether to fight to for your vision of something, or against the thing it is becoming. To make a terribly trivial analogy, what was the point in Star Wars where it became more appropriate to fight against the emerging Empire than to try to rescue the democratic Republic it came from? How do you tell if a structure is still sound, or if it needs to be torn down and built again?

2 comments:

Jeremy Gregg said...

I know what you mean.... I wish I had an answer, but for now all I can do is let you know that I share your concerns.

By the way, thanks for sharing this. I was looking for the full text of this (that's how I found your blog).

Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.
Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

- Rumi

whetstone said...

thank you, jeremy. knowing that there are other worried people out there is a help in and of itself.

i had a similar reaction to yours, jean-pierre. i just put an application in to the arabic learners' group. we'll see if the moderator likes the look of me.